By Sophia McDermott
With the weather warming up right now, get outside as much as you can. Enjoy the fresh air and get some sunlight. I recommend outdoor workouts and walks as much for your mind as your body. Thirty minutes of natural sunlight every day gives you the daily recommended dose of vitamin D. Getting outside is also a great way to break up the monotony of sitting in an office all day. Get out for a walk, do some stretches, breathe. You’ll feel refreshed and with more vitality.
Get creative with workouts outdoors. There are so many things you can do with just your body weight such as burpees, push-ups and abdominal work. Find a park bench to do some exercises, grab a jump rope, do sprints. The options are endless. Your mind and body will thank you. Here are some great exercises to do outside!
1. Step ups:
- Step up on the bench with a flat foot and weight through your heel. Try not to lean forward as you step up since this takes the load off your glutes and onto your lower back.
- Aim to do 20 on one leg and 20 on the other.
2. Push-ups on bench:
- This is a great exercise to tone your arms, shoulders and chest. For a more difficult version, take one foot off the floor and bend your leg. Always keep a straight line from your head to your toes.
- Aim for 20 reps.
3. Lunges with back foot on bench:
- This is a more challenging exercise for the legs and glutes. Make sure to keep your front foot in line with your knee and keep your weight through your heel.
- Aim to do 12 each leg.
4. Plank hold + toe taps:
- Plank holds are one of the best core exercises that you can do. To add some spice let’s do alternating toe taps. Keep a straight shape from shoulders to feet.
- Aim for 10 toe taps each side.
5. Jump rope:
One of the best cardio workouts you can do is jump rope. It’s a great exercise to tone calves too. Throw in 2 mins of jump rope in between your exercises to increase the intensity!
Our printed monthly magazine is full of
extraordinary women with extraordinary stories,
you can subscribe to receive it via mail >